I’ve a few different sub projects on the go right now, not finishing any of them, but hey ho.
this one will document the swapping of the cv boot.
the axle is off the truck so access is easy. I made an axle trolley by welding a couple of cheap bottle jack onto my broken engine crane stand.
trying to remove the bump stop plate was a pain. As always 2 of the 3 fixings came out but there is always 1 that won’t. That one had to be drilled out and re tapped. Not sure what it was to start with, but now it’s m6
next i have made a wheel carrier using some scrap iron and my engine stand. then ran out of time.
2 guide pins created out of 1/2″ UNC bolts inserted
Wheel carrier removed
CV boot teased out with a pry bar
any clue what this is? looks like grease and mud
I’m guessing this should not be here. Any clues how to clean this up?
Wiped out as much as i could then injected some new oil in to wash the rest off. I was a bit worried that the inside of the hub would be coated in this moose, but draining the oil showed it was ok.
Fitting the new boot was a fiddle. as i pushed one side in the other came out. Ended up cutting a 10cm section of 4″ pipe and using that, with a hammer to push it in
It proved not to want to go back in. problem was that the splines in the half shaft did not quite line up in the diff. quick fiddle with the diff flange and straight in.
The book said to put some sealant in this joint but there was non in there before so I have not. time will tell
bolts tightened up to 110nm
oil filled up, done. Make sure the shaft end of the boot is a nice fit in the joint. I had 2 goes