I want to remove the switches for lights etc from the dashboard so have bought a modern steering column with stalk switches. Now got to fit it.
brand new seats go in and the column lined up
then made brackets for the column – might need to support the brackets
Had to make a new floor access too match the column
Decided that the bracket needed attaching to the floor plate, should give the column strength. But it needs to be removable.
Column now has some 3mm plate overlapping the tunnel. 2 m10 bolts tapped into the tunnel. no wobble at all now.
next to find a way to join the steering column to the steering box. I found a g wagon steering shaft.
a quick cut and polish and the uj is off.
cut the uj of the steering column and some slits
just needs welding up now. shame the welder has packed up. It’s still under warranty though so has gone back to the supplier.
Hooray, the steering shaft is back.
many thanks to Martin Lilwall and his mate Reg who converted this
Into this and cut the bracket.
I can get on and work out how the steering box and column will work.
Assembled it today and it fits. Sort of. The shaft fits fine but it sticks into the cab too much. I was expecting this from other installs so will now be sourcing a 2″ body lift kit
Temp 2″ lift. Thanks to some 2×4 I had
now thats better. might add another 0.5″ but will wait to see how the steering colum looks.
I could really do with a pic of an original steering box to drop arm connection showing how far the steering box sticks out the clamp. Anyone help?
Made some spacers from a 50mm Nylon 6 rod and created my own kit.
Then popped them on, perfect
So waiting for the PAS box to return I turn my attention back to the tunnel.
looking for maximum access the panels will be detachable. Captive nuts and bolts
So cutting the holes for the controls was a bit of a faf. Case of measure 27 times cos you only get to cut once.
turns out I’ve made the well for the gearbox control too shallow so had to come up with a way of spacing it out. Looked for ages for a material that is not steel but also will not rot – like wood. Found something called No More Ply which claims to be pretty much inert. stuck some in a a bucket of water overnight and fair enough. It’s almost ceramic but not quite. Anyway it works well for this.
Decided there was too much dead space under the engine cover so have created the hole for the sunken shelf.
Tray tacked in place
Finished the tunnel. Ran out of screws and screw cups but all done.